If you’re seeking tuna, look no further than Venice, LA and Super Strike Charters!
Blackfin: (Thunnus atlanticus) The smallest in the Tuna Family, reaching lengths of about 40 inches and a weight of 45-46 lbs.
Yellowfin:(Thunnus albacares) also known as Ahi, Fast growing, up to around 400 lbs. with a somewhat short life span of about 7 years.
Our captains often catch Blackfin in the
15-20 lb range, and Yellowfin in the 90-100 lb range. There is no daily bag limit for Blackfin Tuna. The Daily Bag limit for Yellowfin tuna is 3 (at least 27” FL) per person/per day.
Both Blackfin and Yellowfin tuna are absolutely delicious! Many locals and avid fisherman make sushi, or simply slice it very thin and eat it raw!
If you’re looking for an insider tip to preserve the meat, and improve the quality of your catch.. we’ve got one for you… Bleed. It. Out. Tuna fight hard and swim fast, when you first boat them their heart is pumping extremely fast. By cutting the main artery under their gill plates halfway between the throat and mouth the blood will pump out of the flesh quickly. This improves the quality of the meat for eating raw. Once the main artery is snipped with a knife or scissors the tuna should be placed in a very cold icy brine where it will bleed out. Some fishermen believe the height of flavor for raw consumption is after 3-6 hours of sitting in an icy bath.
Looking super fresh recipe for all that tuna you caught? Check this one out ⬇️
Spicy Ahi Tuna Wonton Nachos
For the Wonton Chips:
- 15-20 wonton wrappers, cut in half diagonally*
- Cooking spray**
For the Nachos:
- 1/2 lb. sushi grade ahi tuna
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 30-40 wonton chips, from above
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2-4 Tbsp. spicy mayo***
- 2-3 Tbsp. cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds, optional
For the Wonton Chips:
- Preheat & Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut wonton wrappers in half diagonally. Grease a sheet pan with cooking spray or a thin layer of oil. Place a single layer of wonton wrappers on the sheet pan. Coat wonton wrappers with cooking spray or a thin layer of oil.
- Bake: Put in the pre-heated oven for 7 minutes or until golden brown. Once done, season with a pinch of salt and let cool. Use immediately or store in a sealed container until needed.
- For the Nachos:
- Prep Tuna: Pat the tuna dry and cut into 1/2" cubes. Combine the cubed tuna and soy sauce in a small bowl.
- Assemble Nachos: Layer the nachos starting with the wonton chips followed by the tuna, avocado and a drizzle of spicy mayo.
- Garnish & Serve: Garnish with cilantro, jalapeno slices and sesame seeds (optional). Serve immediately with soy sauce (optional).
*15-20 wonton wrappers is about 1/2 of a 12 oz. package.
**If you don’t have cooking spray, a thin coating of olive oil will do the trick!
***Buy spicy mayo at the store or make your own in 2 minutes!
Spicy Mayo = 1/4 cup mayonnaise + 2 tsp. sriracha + 1/2 tsp. lime + 1 Tbsp. water (optional)
Check back next week for insider tips and other useful information!
We also offer houseboat lodging right on Venice Marina! Let us pick you up at your back door for your fishing trip!
To book your next fishing trip, give us a call at 985.640.0772 or visit our website http://www.superstrikecharters.com